Today's renewable energy solutions rely on batteries. The Energy Science Lab Kit is an educational series of detailed electrical experiments to precisely measure, record, and compare performance of various battery models, capacities, and chemistries. Teachers are able to show students real-world battery performance investigations that are interesting and relevant to all students relying on portable electronic devices as part of their daily lives! Exercises show how to measure battery effectiveness and identify the limitations.
- STEM Lab Kit (Electrical)
- Middle/High School Science, Physics, Electronics & Trades
- NGSS referenced
- Detailed Instructor's Guide and Student Hand-outs
Experiments and Lab Overview
Six Experiments prepared for Instructor, Student and Inquiry versions:
- Brand Name vs. No Name - Test AA off-the-shelf batteries to determine which is the best value.
- Typical - I'm Not Typical - Explore how different discharge profiles affect Ampere-Hours capacity.
- Older, But Not Better - Determine the affects of aging on batteries.
- Size Really Matters - The real energy difference between AAA, AA, C, & D cells.
- Burr - I'm Cold - The affects of temperature variance on batteries.
- Cost vs. Value - Analyze new specialty AA cells versus the higher cost.
- Detailed explanations provide insight and overview of each experiment
- Hand-outs for students to record data tables and sample charts
- Actual experiment test logs, sample runs, graphical images and raw data files
- Observations, conclusions, graphical results in Excel format
- Troubleshooting suggestions
- Safety warnings and considerations
- Internet references
CBA IV Specifications
- One model for all testing ranges
- Maximum continuous discharge rate: 100 watts
- Maximum limited term discharge rate with < 3500 ma-hour battery: 125 watts
- Maximum limited term discharge rate with < 1000 ma-hour battery: 150 watts
- 0-3 amp accuracy: typically better than + - 10 ma
- 3-40 amp accuracy: typically better than + - 45 ma
- 0-5 volt accuracy: typically better than + - .005 volts
- 5-15 volt accuracy: typically better than + - .01 volts
- 10-60 volt accuracy: typically better than + - .05 volts
- Maximum operating voltage: 55 Volts (48 Volt Lead Acid Telecom supported)
- Maximum discharge rate: 40 amps (Battery dependent, 100 watt continuous)
- Minimum discharge voltage to maintain 30 amps .9Volts (Battery dependent)
- Minimum Voltage for a 40 amp discharge: 2 volts at completion of test (Battery dependant)
- Minimum discharge rate: 0.01 Amps
- Residual current drain, battery connected while not in use: < .003 amps @ 12 volts
- High performance micro controller with built in USB interface and 12 bit A/D conversion.
- USB powered; the CBA does not use the battery being tested to run the CBA or the fan.
- System ready and Test in progress LED indicators, viewable from across a room.
- CBA internal over temperature sensing and protection.
- Graph printing on any standard color or B&W printer.
- Battery test label printing on standard 05160 stick-on labels.
- Dimensions: 3.5" H x 2.8" W x 3.6" D.
- Weight: 16 oz.